Additional Fees
Turnaround Time

2/9/18 My husband needed a copy of his Birth Cert for a new job/Health Ins requirement we didn't know about, needed it asap. He was born in San Francisco, only 1.5 hours away - but cannot get to the City on weekdays to the County Clerk to apply in person (only $12) and the County Clerk REQUIRES that you use VItalChek (3rd party contractor that charges tons of fees to process) if you want to apply online (which the County Clerk encourages!!) So I went through the entire VitalChek process,which includes processing/mailing fees in excess of $46 in addition to the $12 County Clerk Fee (Total of $58 !!) including giving them my VISA info, and ONLY AFTER PYMT WAS ACCEPTED , a new page opened up that stated they needed 'additional indentification documentation' BEFORE THEY COULD SUBMIT MY APPLICATION TO THE COUNTY CLERK!

Then stated I had to print it out and Upload it to their website - I tried 10x to download their required documentation, but nothing ever appeared in my download folder (or anywhere else) They also state that they emailed a 'link' to these required addit documents, but after asking sev x, over 3 hours have passed and there is nothing in my email.To add Major insult to injury, THEY HAVE NO CONTACT INFO AT ALL. IMPOSSSIBLE TO EVEN EMAIL OR TEXT THEM. AND IT STATES THAT IT CAN TAKE AN ADDITIONAL 3-6 DAYS TO 'RECEIVE AND PROCESS JUST THE DOCUMENTS' THEY NEVER MENTIONED BEFORE THEY TOOK MY EXTRA MONEY FOR UPS 2-DAY SERVICE. What a MAJOR RIP-OFF (I understand the need for proof of ID, but they should make it MUCH EASIER TO UPLOAD TO THEIR SITE, ITS LIKE THEY ARE MAKING IT A ROYAL PIA ON PURPOSE) iF YOU 'CANCEL' YOUR ORDER, OR JUST DO NOT PROVIDE THE EXTRA DOCUMENTS WITHIN 3 DAYS, THEY JUST KEEP YOUR PROCESSING FEE AND CANCEL IT FOR YOU.

WOW! WHATS THE POINT IN DOING IT ONLINE, I COULD HAVE MAILED THE REQUEST DIRECTLY TO THE COUNTY CLERK FOR NOTHING BUT A STAMP AND THE $12 IN LESS TIME.

CANNOT BELIEVE THAT A GOVERNMENT IS USING A SCAM SITE TO RIP THE PEOPLE OFF THAT PAY THEIR SALARIES (Probably getting a % of the referral/processsing fee - and THIS is used all over the USA! for Birth Cert, Death Cert., Marriage Cert....etc)

Review about: Vitalchek Birth Certificate.

Reason of review: Not as described.

I liked: Initially trusted because directly linked to government site, Linked to a trusted government website, Streamlined too easy interface is deliberate be careful.

I didn't like: Coerced me into paying for ee, Coerced me into paying fees i could have done for free myself.

Comments

VitalChek Network
Vitalchek Verified Representative

We are sorry you are disappointed with your VitalChek ordering experience. It is true that there are several different ways you can order your vital records and going to the vital records office in person is often the quickest and least expensive method if it is convenient for you to do so.

If it is not convenient for you to get to the vital records office because you live in another city or state or have an inflexible schedule or other life factors that will not allow you to get there during business hours, VitalChek is there to offer a secure, convenient online ordering method that accepts credit card payments. While the cost may on the surface seem high, if you take into account commute time to and from the vital records office, gas or transportation expense to get there, parking costs, time spent waiting in line to place our order, the convenience of ordering online and the cost associated with it may not seem so extreme.

If you need to contact VitalChek, you can reach us at 800-255-2414, vitals.research@vitalchek.com or via private message on our facebook page. (contact information should be included in your order confirmation email).